In This Issue
HOWND to release new natural fragrances for him and her
Pets at Home acquires veterinary referral hospital
Pets at Home shares jump after strong growth figures
Billy + Margot offers support to flood victims
Grove Pet Foods donate to flood victim in Aberdeenshire
Top notch dog food with a proud, regional provenance
Hing Bowls relaunched with new lower pricing
Planning permission granted for new Natures Menu production plant
Get your own copy of Pet Trade Xtra
Petition launched to stop pet shop selling puppies
Charity box and laptop stolen in pet shop raid
Soft chews offer key health benefits to pets
Puppy saved by PDSA vets after wolfing down owner’s hearing aid
PetSafe crowns winner of Pet Hero competition
Johnson's launches One Dose Wormer for Cats
True gentleman’s winning Sweep at Cocker Championships
New research finds significant health benefits from pet ownership
Find out how Pet Trade Xtra can help to promote your business and products.

Contact for all editorial matters

Or to discuss advertising and sponsorship opportunities.
Puppy saved by PDSA vets after wolfing down owner’s hearing aid

A livewire puppy from Dundee - who is fascinated by her owner’s hearing aids – was rushed to PDSA after swallowing one whole.

Domino the Labrador has mischievously tried to get her paws on owner Norma McKenzie’s hearing aids several times before. But this time it ended in near-disaster when she managed to pull them out of their hiding place and chew them up before gobbling one down.

Stunned Norma, who requires hearing aids for occasional use, said she returned home to find six-month-old Domino chewing on one of her aids, with no trace of the other one.

The 63-year-old quickly realised what had happened and rushed Domino to PDSA’s Dundee Pet Hospital in Hawkhill, where vets gave the cheeky pup medication to induce vomiting.

Norma said: “The injection did the trick and within five minutes Domino had brought up all the different bits of the hearing aid, along with the battery! We also discovered that she’d swallowed bits from a comb, the jewel from a hairclip and even been munching on prawn crackers!”

PDSA Senior Vet Andy Cage revealed that it‘s common for dogs to swallow strange things, especially when they’re puppies. But he says it’s important to keep potentially harmful objects out of a pet’s reach.

He said: “There is a medical term for pets eating strange objects – pica.  Dogs, especially puppies and younger dogs like Domino, use their mouth to investigate objects, as well as to eat. Sometimes when doing this a dog will swallow an object by mistake.

“Thankfully Norma brought Domino straight to the hospital which meant we were able to take action before it caused any serious damage.”

Vets warned that the hearing aid could have caused a tear or fatal blockage in Domino’s digestive system. The battery could also have burned her stomach lining and led to serious, even fatal, complications.

Norma, from Charleston, Dundee, said that the hearing aids weren’t the only objects Domino has taken a fancy to over the past few months:

“The one day I found her with a pair of my glasses and one of the lenses was destroyed. She’s also chewed the side of my coffee table. I heard that putting mustard on it would stop her but she actually enjoyed it and licked it all off!

“I know she’s a puppy and they do like to explore things but I’m now being a lot more careful where I put things, especially when I get my replacement hearing aids.”

PDSA vets say training pets from a young age can help to curb their temptation to chew objects, and they can learn basic commands like ‘drop’ and ‘leave’. For general advice please visit
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Email Newsletter Software by Newsweaver