A distraught dog owner has issued a warning to other pet lovers following the death of her Cavalier King Charles Spaniel who died after eating a ‘natural treat’ bought at a pet shop.
Katy Wilson, from Kinmel Bay, North-East Wales, lost her dog Jilly after treating her to duck necks.
Less than five days after eating the treats, the 11-year-old dog started to experience sickness and diarrhoea, she was unable to sit or lie down and was pacing back and forth.
The 57-year-old took her to her local vets, where an X-ray revealed there were fragments of bone causing an obstruction in her bowels. She died at the surgery only hours later.
"Every dog owner should know about the dangers of feeding their pets these treats,” she told the Daily Post.
"I think they should be taken off the market, but at the very least they should have warning signs on the back of the packaging.”
RSPCA Cymru said it advises against feeding bones to dogs because of the risks of obstruction, damage to the teeth and fatal injuries.
The full Daily Post story can be read by clicking here.