Recent research conducted by online florist Eflorist into behaviour around Valentine's Day gifting revealed an increase of bouquets being delivered from pets to people and even people to pets.
Eflorist CEO Laszlo Varga states: "Most people think Valentine's Day is a time when people buy flowers for their other half, but over the past few years, we’ve noticed an increase of deliveries being sent to, or on behalf of a pet. Living proof that it’s not just romantic love that is celebrated at this time of year.”
However, if you are planning Valentine’s flowers to celebrate your furry friend, bear in mind that some flowers and plants can be toxic to animals.
“We frequently have customers enquiring as to whether our bouquets are pet-friendly,” says Laszlo, “and we believe it’s crucial to point out the hazards of particular flowers to domestic animals.”
With this in mind, Eflorist has teamed up with animal welfare charity Blue Cross who have some valuable tips about pets and petals…
“Blue Cross is warning pet owners that some flowers and plants can be deadly to our four-legged friends so to take care if flowers are in the house or garden. Among the most common toxic plants are lilies which can cause kidney failure if eaten by cats. The pollen can rub off easily onto a cat’s fur when they brush past. If they lick just a small quantity it can be very dangerous and a vet should be contacted immediately. African daisy, calendula and nasturtium may be safer alternatives to add to your bouquet.”
Caroline Reay, Blue Cross Vet, says: "A nice bunch of flowers can really brighten up your home, but there are certain plants and flowers that can be harmful, even fatal, to pets. Lilies can be extremely dangerous, even in tiny amounts or by picking up pollen on fur, and should be avoided all together. Other plants such as tulips, amaryllis and begonias can also be a threat if consumed by your dog or cat.
"If you're thinking about sending a bouquet or plant to a pet owner, it’s worth doing some research to make sure the flowers are pet-friendly. If you're worried your pet has eaten something it shouldn't, seek veterinary advice immediately."