In This Issue
Pets Corner supports budding young entrepreneurs
Pet industry features in an episode of hit TV show The Apprentice
Customers in tears over pet shop closure
Orbiloc appoints Pedigree Wholesale as exclusive distributor
PDSA issues warning after cases of killer parasite rocket by 35% in five years
A flurry of appointments at Pets Choice
Tickets selling fast for PIF Forum & Awards
Pets at Home expands its fleet of vehicles
More aquatic retailers looking to move into the growth area of reptiles, claim Peregrine Livefoods
Puppies not as precious as scrap metal under English law, claims RSPCA
Pet-ID offers new online ordering facility in new veterinary specific store
It’s not Terry’s! Tiny Terrier snaffles whole chocolate orange
Frozzys helps dog with eating condition
‘Fish ‘n’ Hips’ now on CSJ’s menu
Fresh Breath Toothbrush from Johnson's makes brushing easier
Supervet returns to the National Pet Show
Find out how Pet Trade Xtra can help to promote your business and products.

Contact for all editorial matters

Or to discuss advertising and sponsorship opportunities.
It’s not Terry’s! Tiny Terrier snaffles whole chocolate orange
Terrier crossbreed Benny got himself and his canine pal into a sticky spot after snaffling a whole chocolate orange.

When Siubhan Goldup and fiancé Robert Wisbey came home to find a ripped chocolate box and a pile of empty wrappers, they didn’t know which of their two dogs was responsible, so decided to take both Benny and his brother Dexter to PDSA’s Pet Hospital in Bournemouth for a check up.

Siubhan, 24, from Kinson in Bournemouth, said: "We knew that chocolate is poisonous to dogs and that one of them had eaten it, so we thought it best to get them both checked out."

PDSA Vet Nurse Team Leader Rachael Rolfe said: "We didn’t know which dog had eaten the chocolate so had to make both sick. Once we did, it soon became very apparent that Benny was the culprit!"

The 175g chocolate orange contained enough theobromine – the chemical highly toxic to dogs – to seriously harm Benny. Weighing just 8kg, he could have suffered damage to his heart, central nervous system and kidneys.

Vet Nurse Rachael added: "Benny could have caused himself some serious and lasting damage to his internal organs. There is no doubt that without the quick thinking of Siubhan, he may not be here now.

"If owners even suspect that their dog has eaten chocolate, it’s always best to get them checked over by a vet as the consequences can be fatal."

Siubhan continues: "The staff at PDSA were absolutely brilliant with both Benny and Dexter. I am disabled and find it very difficult and painful getting around. When we walk the boys I use an electric trike. The dogs are a very important part of our lives and we would be lost without them. Thank you PDSA for helping Benny out of a very sticky spot!"

PDSA is on a mission to educate the nation on pet wellbeing and thanks to funding from players of People’s Postcode Lottery, is helping the charity to continue this vital work.

PDSA is the UK’s leading veterinary charity. With 51 Pet Hospitals across the UK, the charity administered 2.7 million treatments to 470,000 pets last year. For more information, visit
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Email Newsletter Software by Newsweaver