In This Issue
HOWND offers 10% retailer discount at PATS Telford
Excitement builds as PATS Telford gets set to launch on Sunday
PetQuip Award winners to be revealed on Sunday
Eco pet company sees sales of poop bags soar as the UK leads a global revolution in responsible dog owning
TV Vet School star launches the KrillBar at PATS
Bucktons gets set for the ‘big reveal’ at PATS Telford
World Cup rugby stars - and their dogs - are fans of Frozzys
Animology creators introduce new 'entry level' brand
Support Dogs receive Burns ‘Charity of the Year’ award
AmPet set to unveil innovative American products
Foobler is the world’s first electronic treat feeder for dogs
The Pet Hut links with PDSA as 100th store opens
Win tickets to the Pet Industry Forum & Awards
Market research specialists GfK carry out sales tracking insights on pet food
Burns opens new pet shop in Wales
Pooch & Mutt reach Facebook milestone with 50,000 followers
Ancol supplies collars for new dog tracking device
Three-legged hamster gets back on the wheel
Minor injury leads to near-fatal infection for Leia
Charity to receive 5p carrier bag proceeds from Pets Corner
Collarways set to launch Stay Over Rover
Fish4Dogs adds two new products to treat range
Find out how Pet Trade Xtra can help to promote your business and products.

Contact for all editorial matters

Or to discuss advertising and sponsorship opportunities.
Three-legged hamster gets back on the wheel

A hamster has been saved by vet charity PDSA following a freak accident in which a piece of wire wrapped around her foot, cutting off the blood supply.

Tiny Beth had to undergo surgery at PDSA’s Sunderland Pet Hospital to amputate her foot and part of her leg after her owners discovered an inch-long piece of wire caught around it.

Victoria Wilkinson, 38, from Washington, said she had noticed Beth had become withdrawn and off her food but wasn’t showing any other problem signs.

She said: “Beth wasn’t coming out for her food so we picked her up and, to our horror, we found this piece of wire which seemed to have gone around her foot and up her leg.

“I tried to have a closer look and Beth started to squeal so we took her straight to PDSA.”

PDSA Senior Vet, Lianne O’ Brien, from Sunderland Pet Hospital, said after inspecting the injury the decision was taken to amputate Beth’s foot and part of her leg.

She said: “It’s not something we take lightly as it’s high risk to put a small animal like a hamster under anaesthetic, but we realised we had no choice but to amputate.

“We warned Beth’s owners that it would be a risky operation but thankfully everything went well and Beth has gone on to make a full recovery.”

Victoria said herself and her daughter Codie, 13, were extremely grateful to PDSA for the treatment Beth received:

 “We were so worried about Beth. It was Codie’s birthday on the same day and she actually postponed her party until the evening as she wanted to make sure her hamster was ok first.

“Codie and Beth have a really close bond and are always together. Codie donated all her pocket money and even asked for an advance to make a contribution to PDSA for the cost of the operation.

“Beth is doing great now and she can do all the things she used to before the accident and still loves going in her wheel, even with just three legs.”

Victoria said they are still stumped as to how the metal ended up in Beth’s cage:

 “We’ve got other hamsters and some rabbits, so we often buy hay bales for bedding. The wire must have been inside there, that’s the only explanation we have for it.”
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Email Software by Newsweaver