In This Issue
New Natural Super Premium range from Vitalin
PATS Telford will be the biggest show ever
Dates confirmed for PATS Sandown in 2016
Second factory planned for Nutriment to meet growing demand for its RAW food products
Cat who got in a knot is saved by PDSA
More pet owners want to take their animals on holiday
Dog and cat holidays could unlock billions of pounds
Pet owners give thumbs-up to Puppy Parties at Bents
Ceva launches new Adaptil and Feliway websites
Win over £1,000 worth of 4fleas stock from Johnson's
UK pet insurers pay out £1.65m a day in claims
Not Just Pets raises over £330 for local charities
Pooch & Mutt makes Not Just Pets its stockist of the month
The Pet Show 2015 lands sponsorship deal with Hagen
Numbers of exotic pets found dumped on streets of London rising
Vets urge owners to neuter their pets to prevent deadly conditions
New Pets at Home store planned for Lancashire retail park
Find out how Pet Trade Xtra can help to promote your business and products.

Contact for all editorial matters

Or to discuss advertising and sponsorship opportunities.
Cat who got in a knot is saved by PDSA

PDSA vets have saved the life of a mischievous moggie who got himself in a terrible tangle after gobbling up shoelaces and hair bands.

Black-and-white cat Garry, from Hove, went along to Brighton PDSA Pet Hospital for his annual booster, where PDSA vets discovered an extremely worrying large mass in his stomach. 

The two-year-old cat was admitted for further tests, and worried owner Ana Barbosa (32) was told to prepare for the worst, as a life-threatening tumour was suspected.

But during emergency exploratory surgery, PDSA vet Jess Maguire was stunned to discover shoe laces and hair bands, along with bits of plastic, in Garry’s stomach.

If left undetected, the items could have caused a potentially fatal blockage. The items had probably been eaten over a period of time, according to vets, and it was a miracle that the inquisitive feline wasn’t suffering any side-effects after his bizarre snacking habits.

Garry’s owner, Ana Barbosa, said: “Garry is a very cheeky little chap who has always preferred playing with human things instead of cat toys. But we had no idea he was actually eating them.

“I’d washed some laces from my trainers, which went missing. I never for one moment thought that Garry was the reason why! When I first heard it may be a tumour, I was devastated. My two boys and I all adore him. So although I was absolutely shocked to find out what the mass was, we were relieved to hear the good news that it wasn’t a tumour.”

Commenting on this case of ‘curiosity nearly killed the cat’, PDSA vet Jess Maguire urged owners to be vigilant where peckish pets are concerned:

“We often see dogs who have eaten odd things, but it is quite unusual for a cat to eat so many different items,” she said.

PDSA advises owners to speak to their vet at once if they suspect their pets have eaten something they shouldn’t.

Ana added: “We’re so grateful to PDSA for saving Garry’s life – he’s a big part of our family and we’d be heart-broken if we’d have lost him so young. Now we know how mischievous he can be, we’ll definitely be keeping a closer eye on him in future.”

For more pet health advice, visit

Gary the cat with owner Ana Barbosa and PDSA vet Jess Maguire...and the items removed from his stomach.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Newsletter Marketing Powered by Newsweaver