In This Issue
Cashing in on growing trend of birthday gifts for dogs
Garden centre launches special cafe for dog owners
Pets at Home shares slump as sales growth misses expectations
£1.8 million pet hospital opens in the West Midlands
Shih Tzu swallows a whole kitchen scourer
8in1 extend popular Minis range with six innovative new flavours
Tastybone reports huge success in Spain
Lily's Kitchen backs innovative podcast called Houndsounds
Vitalin film star looking for a home
Woman horrified after Pets at Home staff shave off cat's fur
Campaign to reduce Jersey's dog mess problem
Barkers - 'the best shop for dogs ever' - to open in Kent
New Chillax Cool products now available from Rosewood Pet Products
Woman jailed after strangling pet dog with lead
Find out how Pet Trade Xtra can help to promote your business and products.

Contact for all editorial matters

Or to discuss advertising and sponsorship opportunities.
Shih Tzu swallows a whole kitchen scourer

A Shih Tzu had his life saved by vet charity PDSA after swallowing a whole kitchen sponge, complete with scouring pad.

Alfie, who is 20 months old, was keeping his owner Maria Bird company as she cleaned the bathroom when he swiped a clean sponge from the packet and swallowed it whole.

Little Alfie seemed fine following his foamy snack, but owner Maria knew his naughty nibbling could cause him some serious harm.

Maria (53) from Jarrow, said: “Alfie has always been a mischief-maker but I was astounded when he wolfed down the sponge in one go! He seemed absolutely fine but I knew he could be in deep trouble. I rushed him straight to PDSA where vets checked him over.”   

Vet Nurse Caroline Watson was on duty at PDSA’s Gateshead Pet Hospital when Alfie was brought in. She said:

“We gave Alfie an injection to make him sick and thankfully, the medicine worked its magic quickly. Thanks to the speedy actions of Maria, Alfie avoided a far worse fate, as when pets swallow foreign bodies, they can cause tears or fatal blockages in the digestive system.

“We were amazed that such a small dog managed to swallow a sponge of that size – it can’t have been very pleasant going down or coming back up again!”

Alfie returned home shortly after his ordeal and returned to his usual self. Maria concluded: “I am so grateful to PDSA for their fast action and help with Alfie. We are keeping a close eye on him to make sure he doesn’t snaffle any other spongy treats again!”

PDSA advises owners to contact their vet for advice straight away if they suspect their pets have eaten something they shouldn’t.

For more pet health advice visit
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Email Software by Newsweaver