With temperatures starting to drop and weather forecasters predicting an ice cold winter, consumers are beginning to feed the wild birds visiting their gardens. With this in mind, retailers should now be getting their wild bird care departments in tip top shape in order to maximise on this key sales period, making full use of the Gardman’s Wild Bird Care point of sale solutions to make these areas as impactful as possible.
Lolly Lee, Gardman’s Director of Business Development, commented: “Around 80% of all till purchases are impulse so, the importance of effective merchandising techniques cannot be emphasised enough.”
Oaktree Garden Centre & Nursery at Bracknell in Berkshire, is amongst many garden centres who have set up special displays to help drive wild bird care sales this autumn. Working with Gardman’s marketing department, the centre gave their foyer a seasonal wild bird care makeover to wow customers as the entered the store.
“We wanted to create a compelling autumnal entrance display that would generate impulse sales and also entice customers to visit our wild bird care section instore,” said Phil Went, General Manager of Oaktree. “Gardman’s visual merchandising team managed the coordination of this fantastic theatre display and the results have been great, particularly bird tables, which have seen a definite uplift in sales.”
The company’s merchandising team has come up with five top tips for effective merchandising in your wild bird care department:
1. Keep your wild bird care displays easy to shop by grouping product ranges together
2. Draw customers in with an impactful display of bird tables and bird feeders
3. Highlight seasonal lines with promotional POS to encourage increased basket spend
4. Use free-standing display units (FSDU’s) to encourage sales of key and promotional lines; till point is a great place to catch customers so, try dual siting FSDUs here too!
5. Gardman’s range of stands, plinths and gondola displays can easily add extra selling space to your wild bird care area, so be sure to discuss these merchandising solutions with your sales agent.